Since India is a ‘masala or spice field’ tradition, nothing is healthier than making your individual spice powders at dwelling. Not solely the expertise is enriching, however the entire deal is solely joie de vivre! You’ll really feel related with this Dry Mango Powder, additionally referred to as as Amchur Powder, whereas making it at dwelling. Probably the most intrinsic substances in Punjabi and North Indian cuisines, Amchoor Powder imparts a streak of tang to any dish it’s added to.
About Amchur Powder
A wide range of North Indian and Punjabi recipes use Amchur Powder (Dry Mango Powder) and dried pomegranate seeds powder to get a slight trace of sourness in them. Whereas tamarind, kokum and lemon are widespread souring brokers in Western and South India, you wouldn’t discover these in Northern components of India.
Primarily, Amchoor Powder and one other standard Indian spice combine referred to as the Garam Masala are added on the final stage of cooking, when the dish is nearly prepared. The style is sort of outstanding. So, you’ll be capable of discover a distinct distinction in any curry or sabzi, earlier than and after the addition of Amchur Powder.
Dry Mango Powder is completely important in lots of Punjabi preparations like Chana Masala, Paneer Tikka, Bhindi Masala, and so forth. to get the best style. Chances are you’ll experiment by changing Amchoor Powder with alternate options like lemon juice or tamarind, however make sure to get a modified taste profile.
Extra on This Dry Mango Powder
The one and solely ingredient that you’ll require to make Amchur Powder is uncooked, inexperienced unripe mangoes or kairi/keri. In case you dissect the phrase amchur/Amchoor – ‘am’ is ‘aam’ or a Hindi phrase for mango and ‘chur/choor’ is ‘to crush, crumble or powder’ – therefore, the title. The style of dry mango powder is bitter.
How is it made: Uncooked, inexperienced, unripe mango chips or strips are first sunbathed for a couple of days until they flip dried, brittle and crisp. Then, these mango items are powdered finely. That is the explanation Amchoor Powder is known as Dry Mango Powder in English.
Yield: Through the use of 3 small uncooked mangoes, I obtained about 75 grams of Amchur Powder. So, extra the amount of mangoes in quantity, extra the yield. When utilizing a house scale utilization, 2 to five small to medium uncooked mangoes are sufficient. This a lot is well floor at dwelling and it is possible for you to to make use of it for a few months.
Home made Amchoor Powder is at all times higher than those accessible available in the market, shops and even on-line nowadays. Whenever you end grinding the dried mango chips, the aroma from the grinder will likely be sufficient to get you satisfied that the time spend in making the Dry Mango Powder was price.
Methods of Drying
Primarily, there are two methods you possibly can dry the mango chips for the Dry Mango Powder:
- Solar Dry – That is the unique option to make an attractive, contemporary batch of Amchur Powder at dwelling. Hold the mango items within the solar for about 2 to three days. The variety of days might change as per the energy and period of solar mild.
- Oven Dry – If you’re at a spot the place you don’t get enough daylight, then you should utilize your oven to dry the mango items. Set your oven on the lowest temperature: between 50 levels C/122 levels F to 90 levels C/194 levels F. Relying on the temperature vary, the mango chips will take about 10 to 24 hours for drying. As soon as correctly dehydrated, the mango items would break simply and develop into powdery too should you press them.
The bottom temperature in my oven is of 60 levels C/140 levels F. Through the day, I might preserve the mango items for 7 hours within the oven at this temperature. This I did for 3 days. Within the night time, I might cowl them with a muslin material and preserve at room temperature. It took me 21 hours to get the mango items fully dried and crisp.
When you’ve got a dehydrator, you possibly can attempt drying and dehydrating the mangoes in it. I’ve not used a dehydrator so I can’t inform my expertise a few dehydrator. However you possibly can attempt drying the mangoes in it.
Methods to make Amchur Powder
1. Earlier than you start be sure that all of your spoons, plates, tray, knife, peeler, grinder and fully dry and clear.
Rinse and wipe 3 small or 2 medium-sized inexperienced, unripe, uncooked mangoes fully dry. Peel the pores and skin. That is the hardest half. Use a superb peeler.
With the identical peeler, peel the mangoes into skinny strips. The strips or chips need to be thinly peeled. Peeling the mango flesh is less complicated than peeling the pores and skin.
2. Unfold the skinny mango strips on a tray or a big plate. You can too use 2 to three trays or plates to make the drying simpler.
For straightforward cleansing, you possibly can line the tray with a parchment paper.
3. Now, warmth your oven to its minimal. Place the mango strips within the oven. Relying on the temperature, it could take wherever between 10 hours to 2 days or extra.
I heated the oven at 60 levels Celsius and it took about 21 hours for the mangoes to dry fully over a interval of three days. I might dry them within the oven for 7 hours through the day. At night time, I might preserve the tray coated with a muslin in a dry place.
4. The mango strips develop into crisp and break simply like a skinny potato wafer. As quickly as they cool, powder them within the grinder.
In case you preserve for extra time after they’ve been cooled, then among the chips free their crispness and get a chewy texture. Then, you’ll have to dry them once more within the oven for a couple of hours until they develop into crisp.
Just a few chips which have been peeled thickly could also be thick and never crisp. But when they’ve dried correctly, then they simply get powdered within the grinder.
5. As quickly because the mango strips cool, add them to a dry grinder or spice grinder. Grind to a nice powder.
6. Take away and retailer Amchur Powder or Dry Mango Powder in a clear dry jar. Seal with an hermetic lid. Notice that 3 small mangoes yielded 75 grams of Amchoor Powder.
Retailer at room temperature in a clear glass jar or BPA free plastic jar in a cool dry place. You can too preserve the jar with the amchur powder within the fridge.
Home made amchoor retains nicely for six months. When you’ve got saved and used it appropriately it might probably final for greater than 6 months.
7. Use home made Amchur Powder in your recipes, as wanted.
- It’s advisable to soak the uncooked mangoes in water for two to three hours earlier than peeling them, should you keep in extraordinarily sizzling weather conditions. This soaking helps in eradicating some warmth from the fruit.
- To seek out out whether or not the mango items are fully dried to be processed into the powder, choose a chunk or two and press or break them along with your hand. They need to simply snap and break and develop into powdery.
- You possibly can both sundry the mango items or dehydrate them in an oven. Particulars are talked about above.
- After the Amchoor Powder is processed absolutely, put in an hermetic container and retailer at room temperature.
- If saved incorrectly, the Dry Mango Powder will lose its freshness and develop into unusable. If saved appropriately, it stays good for a yr.
You possibly can dry the mango items within the microwave oven, however provided that there’s a convection mode in it.
As I discussed earlier, Amchur Powder is extensively utilized in North Indian and Punjabi curries and sabzis. Aside from this, you should utilize it in chutneys, marinades and as a sprinkle on chaats and snacks.
Peel and reduce uncooked inexperienced mangoes into skinny chips or strips. Unfold them on a big plate and place the plate in daylight for the mango items to dry. Alternatively, you possibly can dry the mango items in an oven too. Dried mango items may be simply powdered in a grinder. Use accordingly.
Amchoor Powder is made utilizing just one ingredient, that’s, uncooked inexperienced bitter mangoes.
Please make sure to charge this recipe within the recipe card beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Amchur Powder | Amchoor (Dry Mango Powder)
Constituted of scratch home made Amchur Powder or Amchoor (also referred to as Dry Mango Powder) which is commonly added to North Indian recipes for a slight tang and sourness. Could be made in two methods – by solar drying or dehydrating within the oven.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 0 minutes
Oven Drying Time 21 hrs
Whole Time 21 hrs 15 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Put together Mangoes
Earlier than you start guarantee to make use of clear and dry spoons, plates, tray, knife, peeler and grinder jar.
Rinse and wipe the uncooked unripe mangoes fully dry.
Peel the pores and skin. That is the hardest half. Use a superb sturdy peeler.
With the identical peeler, peel the mangoes into skinny strips or chips.
The strips or chips need to be thinly peeled. Peeling the mango flesh is less complicated than peeling the pores and skin.
Unfold the skinny peeled mango strips on a tray or a big plate.
You can too use 2 to three trays or plates to make the drying simpler.
Two methods to dry the mangoes
- Solar drying techniqueHold the mango strips or chips in solar for few days. Often it takes 2 to three days to dry them within the sizzling solar of North India. However the time can differ relying upon the solar period and depth.
- Oven techniqueWarmth your oven to its minimal. Place the mango strips within the oven. Relying on the temperature it could take wherever between 10 hours to 2 days or extra.
- I heated the oven at 60 levels Celsius and saved the mangoes to dry within the oven for 7 hours for 3 days through the day. It took me about 21 hours for the mango strips to dry fully.Within the night time, I might preserve the tray coated with a muslin in a dry place.
After they’re dried and dehydrated, the mango strips develop into crisp and snap simply like a skinny potato wafer. As quickly as they cool, powder them within the grinder.
In case you preserve for extra time after they’ve cooled, then among the chips free their crispness and get a chewy texture. Then, you’ll have to dry them once more within the oven for a couple of hours until they develop into crisp.
Just a few chips which can have been peeled thickly, could also be thick and never crisp. But when they dry correctly, they simply get powdered.
Making amchur powder
As quickly because the mango strips cool, add them to a dry grinder or spice grinder. Grind to a nice powder.
Take away and retailer Amchur Powder or Dry Mango Powder in a jar. 3 small mangoes yielded 75 grams of Amchoor Powder.
Retailer at room temperature in a clear dry glass jar or a BPA free plastic jar in a cool dry place. You can too retailer in a fridge.
The home made amchur powder retains nicely for six months and if used and saved appropriately can final for greater than 6 months.
Use Amchur Powder in your recipes, as required.
- Use unripe mangoes. Don’t use semi-ripe mangoes.
- Select to dry within the solar or within the oven as defined within the recipe card and within the publish above.
- The approximate vitamin information is for all the amchur powder constituted of this recipe.
Amchur Powder | Amchoor (Dry Mango Powder)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 248 Energy from Fats 18
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Vitamin A 4479IU90%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 151mg183%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 17µg16%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 178µg45%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Amchur Powder recipe from the weblog archives first printed in August 2014 has been republished and up to date on 2 Jun 2022.